Bats and their roosts are legally protected. Inspired Ecology Ltd can provide robust surveys using the latest equipment, practical mitigation strategies and reports which will satisfy planning authorities.
Studies have shown that populations of bat species in both Britain and continental Europe have seriously declined in recent times as the result of the reduction in habitats providing their insect food and the disturbance to, exclusion from, or total loss of their roosting and hibernation sites.
For this reason, in England, Scotland and Wales, all bats are strictly protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, as amended by the Countryside and Rights of Way (CRoW) Act 2000. They are also protected under European legislation. Bats are also protected by European legislation; the EC Habitats Directive is transposed into UK law by The Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2017.
The team includes ecologists who hold relevant Natural England bat survey licences (including Levels 3 and 4) and specialise in survey and mitigation work relating to bats. This includes:
- Survey and assessment of built structures such as barns and outbuildings, residential dwellings, bridges, and culverts
- Survey and assessment of trees in connection with arboricultural work
- Activity surveys using Pettersson D1000x and D240x time expansion detectors and backed up with infrared cameras and lighting. This includes transect survey work, dawn re-entry surveys and evening emergence surveys. Additional longer term activity monitoring using passive Pettersson D500x and Anabat SD1, SD2 and Express remote recorders
- Bat capture surveys to supplement activity surveys, with capture methods including hand netting, harp trapping and mist netting, aided where necessary by electronic lures. These surveys are regularly conducted by ecologists holding Level 3 and Level 4 bat survey licences
- Securing Natural England European Protected Species (EPS) licences in connection with developments which affect bats. This includes the preparation and implementation of robust mitigation strategies and monitoring programmes
We can form teams of experienced ecologists to cover large sites and also employ the latest recording techniques to provide quality, robust survey data for input into Environmental Impact Assessments. Sound analysis and sonograms are provided as a standard part of our bat activity reports.
We regularly undertake bat surveys in Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Norfolk, Nottinghamshire and Cambridgeshire in connection with barn conversions and other developments. Our ecologists work in accordance with Natural England and Bat Conservation Trust survey and good practice guidelines, holding Level 3 and Level 4 bat survey licences which allows us to conduct regular bat capture surveys. We have a proven track record of securing EPS licences.
This service includes...
Why use Inspired Ecology?
Inspired Ecology Ltd are a team of experienced ecologists with complementary expertise that can provide complete ecological solutions for your project.
Practical experience in the use of advanced technological species surveying equipment
Wide knowledge and expertise in theoretical and practical field skills suitable for a range of flora and fauna
As a small company with a distinguished reputation within the sector, we assure the highest standard of customer service and efficiency tailored towards your ecology needs
Over 15 years of experience in the ecological sector with personnel holding relevant degrees and/or membership of appropriate professional bodies